As preparations for the Water Festival 2016 ramp up, many residents of Phnom Penh are also preparing themselves for the influx of travelers coming from the provinces of Cambodia.
Currently, the expected number of Cambodians travelling to Phnom Penh are at around two million. There are, however, a number of locals and expats who have planned trips going from Phnom Penh to Battambang, Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, or even abroad. Only to escape the crowds that will surely be difficult to get around the city in.
Water Festival 2016: On going preparations
A quick walk through the city, displays several preparations. In fact, as of tonight, the ministry boats have already been spotted floating and lit up.
- Concert stages are being set up at the park
- Booths surrounding the concert stage have been set up around the fountains.
- Several cleanup drives were done along Riverside.
- Boats have been prepared and tested.
- Restaurants are displaying Water Festival 2016 promotions.
- Grass has been cut and hedges trimmed.
- Police attentiveness has increased and special vigilance is provided against possible thieves during the festival.
Safety precautions during the Water Festival
Below are some tips for safety during the Water Festival celebrations
- Traveling at night increases your chances of being a victim, so its best to stay in groups and be vigilant at all times.
- Pick-pocketing alert. Be aware of your surroundings and be alert when shopping or moving around town.
- Avoid carrying large sums of money.
- Avoid keeping all money in a single place.
- Do not wear expensive jewelry when going around town.
- Keep all valuables safe inside your bag.
- It is best to have companions whenever going to somewhere unfamiliar.
For sure, the government is trying their best to keep travelers and locals safe and sound during these times. Nevertheless, a bit of common sense is sure to go a long way.