Many travelers often worry about Cambodia money. Questions often arise as to what currency is accepted? What is the exchange rate? Where can I have money exchanged? Will ATMs accept international cards?
Here are some Cambodia money fast facts that might help travelers. It is extremely helpful especially during the preparation phase.
Cambodia Money: Basics
- Cambodian currency is called Riel
- US Dollars are accepted throughout Cambodia
- Rough conversion is $1 = 4,000 Riels (20,000 Dong)
- At the Thai or Vietnamese border, some restaurants accept Riels, Dong, or US Dollars
- When paying in Dollars, the change will be in Riels if it is less than $1
Where can I exchange money?
- Cambodian banks in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanoukville have banks that are able to exchange currencies.
- Local shops offer money exchange. These are easy to spot as there is often a booth in front displaying various types of currencies.
Can I use ATMs or credit cards?
- There are ATMs available in Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville, and Siem Reap. However, these can be sparse in the more rural areas.
- Most of the ATMs are ANZ, ABA, and Canadia Banks. Although recently more banks have set up their own ATMs.
- Whenever using an ATM, it will cost around $5 for every withdrawal.
- Credit cards are helpful and accepted at restaurants, major hotels, and several establishments.
- ATMs are available 24 hours.
- Cambodian banks generally open at 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
There is much debate about how much amount to take. It is best to carry smaller cash denominations so that it is easier to pay. When booking with BookMeBus, however, we accept all kinds of payments: Credit cards, debit cards, Wing, SmartLuy, among others.