Protect from Dengue fever when in Cambodia
One of the greatest concerns travelers have whenever heading to Cambodia is the fear of getting dengue fever. Dengue, for sure, is something you would not want to encounter especially when on your holiday. It is a good thing, however, that there are always ways to protect from dengue fever whenever you are travelling to Cambodia.
While it is not guaranteed 100% that travelers will suffer from dengue fever whenever visiting Cambodia, but it never hurts to be on guard. After all, you would not want to get sick in a new country.
Quick information about dengue fever
Dengue fever is a tropical disease caused by the dengue virus, which is mosquito borne. Symptoms often start three to fourteen days after there is an infection. Symptoms include joint pains, high fever, vomiting, headaches, muscle pains, as well as skin rashes. When travelling and you notice these symptoms, it would be best to get checked as soon as possible.
How to protect from dengue fever
There are many ways that you can constantly protect yourself from getting dengue fever. Some of these are cited below:
- Apply mosquito repellents, especially on exposed parts of your skin. – This is a basic way to protect from dengue fever, as travelers are often outside at all hours. The least you can do is just slather on some mosquito repellents to be safe.
- Sleep under a mosquito net. – While it does feel good to sleep under the stars when travelling, it is always a good idea to sleep under a mosquito net. Luckily, most bungalows and huts in Cambodia offer mosquito nets, so you can sleep in peace.
- Wear long sleeved shirts and pants. – Good thing in Cambodia is that you can always find those airy long pants with elastics at the ankles, so only your feet are exposed. There are also several breezy tops that are comfortable to wear whenever travelling or exploring temples. Not only does it protect from dengue fever and mosquitoes, but it also shields from the sun. It certainly is more comfortable than wearing jeans all day long.
- Make sure that your rooms do not have stagnant water. – When you get into a hotel or an apartment during your travel, be sure to check if there are any stagnant water around the rooms. This can come in the form of vases, pots, pans, and even your regular bucket.
- Plan your trip. – It is important to plan your trip wisely. Most cases of dengue fever happen during the monsoon season, so if you want to fully protect from dengue fever, it would be best to travel during summer or when it does not rain so much.
The treat of dengue fever should not stop travelers from exploring what Cambodia has to offer. While it is a reality that there is a possibility of getting dengue fever, protection always helps. Even if it just something as small as putting on mosquito repellent.